Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Soap Challenge April 2016 - Location Theme


This month's challenge from Great Cakes Soapworks was a location theme. My soap design, therefore, was an attempt to  reflect our current home of Dayton, Ohio, USA. The Dayton area has a history rich in aviation. It was the home of Wilbur and Orville Wright, pioneers of aviation, and is the current home of Wright-Patterson Air Force Base and the National Museum of the United States Air Force. Therefore, I wanted to incorporate an aviation theme into my design.

After a failed attempt at a more elaborate design, I ended up with a simple design of blue and white swirls to represent the sky and cold process airplane embeds made with a mini cookie/ fondant cutter. My household and I really like this soap not only because it smells great (scented with an essential oil blend of lemongrass, eucalyptus, and spearmint) but because the design is simple yet interesting and imperfect yet pleasing.




My entry soap was plan B.

After unmolding and a little rough. The planes were made with cold process soap cut with a mini cookie cutter.

They cleaned up well - subtle and a little imperfect, but interesting.




The Rest of the Story

The above is my short description for the contest. Here's what else happened...

This was my original plan.
Plan A.

I had wanted the plane in a sky of swirling clouds above a field of green with a river running through it. When we moved to Ohio we were impressed with how green everything was. Maybe everything looks green after living in the desert (we had previously lived in Arizona). Still, we were in awe. The river would have represented the Great Miami River which runs through Dayton.

I tried to accomplish my design in a loaf. From the top it looked more like an ocean full of sharks than a sky full of planes.



Naturally, since I didn't try to make my soap till the week of posting, it didn't work out the way I planned.

Cracks! This soap turned out lye-heavy and I miscalculated the fragrance. Double whammy!


Luckily I had enough embeds left to try again the day before pictures were to start being posted. My husband likes the airplanes and the scent so this is a win in my book. Plus, anything used to better my skills and knowledge is a good thing.
-A

P.S. A big thanks to Amy Warden of Great Cakes Soapworks for organizing the challenge.

28 comments:

  1. I really like your second design, the aeroplanes really pop out from the blue and white sky background. Lovely entry. I'd love to see what your original soap looked like inside though too, I'm intrigued. Even if it was cracked and lye heavy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The first soap didn't cut, it crumbled. The aftermath was so gruesome I didn't think it right to take a picture. RIP my little soap...RIP.

      Delete
  2. I like your Soaps Ann! The planes turned out really cute, and the swirly sky works great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool soap. Love your inspiration. Your embeds are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love this soap. Simple and elegant

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love how these turned out, they are so so cute! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely soap!! It reminds me of flannel pajamas for boys for some reason... I don't even have boys. LOL! What a great find for the cookie cutter though - you could sell these at a local museum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They do seem to say "little boy" don't they?

      Delete
  7. I like them, too. Funny how we don't exactly get what we planned? Great job, though, pushing past the problems. I also agree that they say "little boy".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plan B is a win. It's sooooo disappointing when Plan A doesn't work-out, but you persevered and submitted a wonderful entry. Congratulations on a terrific soap.
    Gayle in Maine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I ended up with a usable, cute soap in the end so it's all good.

      Delete
  9. Excellent soap, very elegant in its simplicity - and don't you LOVE soap planers (no pun intended)? They just bring out the best in soap art!
    (As for the plan A "soap fail," - if you don't have a couple of them along the way, you aren't pushing your ideas enough! At least that's what I tell myself, BWAHAHAHAHA!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I agree, I'm loving my soap planer. And, a fail now and then is a good learning experience. Some weeks I learn more than others...

      Delete
  10. I love the random yet simplicity of what you created. The planes are super cute. Nice job failing forward!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure your original design would have turned out fabulous if the soap fairies were cooperating, but your entry soap knocked it out of the park! The simplicity is really powerful! I get a serene feeling of peacefully gliding amongst the clouds on a summer day! I think this is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Thats so nice of you to say.

      Delete
  12. Your soap is so much fun! Great idea and well done!!
    Sly

    ReplyDelete